Evaluating Your Own Risk for Inherited Disease
For this Assignment you will think about your individual health and health risks. What genetic diseases or problems might you face during your lifetime? Predisposition to heart disease, breast cancer, diabetes? You may consider your own health risks or those of other individuals such as a family member or friend. Then, in a paper of 800–1,000 words, address the following issues:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- What genetic diseases or problems were determined to be potential issues?
- Provide an introduction of the disease, outlining the major signs/symptoms of the disorder and the reason why this was selected as a genetic/inherited disease?
- Research the mode of inheritance for this disease/trait? Why? If you are not able to find a specific mode of inheritance, provide a hypothesis for the mode of inheritance. Explain your thinking here very thoroughly; this should take up about half of the length of the Assignment.
- What other information would help you draw better conclusions about this disease?
- What problems did you encounter in gathering information about your family’s history or that of the person you interviewed?
- If you were to have a child, what could you tell him or her about his/her chances of inheriting the diseases based upon your research about the inheritability of the trait you are researching?
Finally, visit the KU library by clicking on the “Library” link on the KU Campus homepage. Select the option to perform an advanced search. Find two references that pertain to the disease/trait you selected. Record the methods that you used to discover these sources, and answer the following questions:
- Which search term(s) did you use?
- Did you use combinations of search terms?
- Which methods resulted in the most “hits” or results?
- Did you refine any of your searches? In other words, did you perform an initial search and then further narrow the results?
Also, briefly explain whether the references support or contradict your previous conclusions.
*****This is the grading rubric you must follow:
Demonstrates a full and complete understanding of the topic.
Provides an introduction which clearly defines the scope of the project and identifies the chosen disease.
Provides an explanation of why the disease was chosen as a potential issue.
Provides specific information that would help individuals to draw better conclusions about the chosen disease (i.e., common symptoms, additional resources, etc.).
Provides an accurate and thorough description on the mode of inheritance of the selected disease. Discussion is supported with additional research.
The description takes up about half of the length of the assignment.
Thoroughly describes problems an individual would encounter when creating a medical tree and when gathering their family’s medical history.
Discusses various approaches to discussing the probability of inheriting the chosen genetic disorder with a child. Discussion is supported by additional research.
Reflects a thorough understanding on how to search the KU library and fully explains the methods used to discover at least two sources related to the topic.
Utilizes at least two references and explains whether the references support or contradict the student’s findings.
Project meets the minimum word requirements of 750 -1,000 words.
The use of accurate scientific terminology enhances the project.
APA-formatting guidelines are met.
References and citations are included and formatted as per APA-formatting guidelines.
No errors in spelling, punctuation or grammar.
The submitted project meets all assignment requirements.