Description of RA
Epidemiology, like all sciences, seeks to find causal relationships in natural phenomena. This acquires urgency in the case of disease because if we are to cure and prevent disease, we must know what caused it. In this assignment, you will discuss the role an epidemiologist plays in the following scenario.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Review the introduction to Centervale and read the additional information below.
Outbreak at Centervale’s Hospitals
Hospital-East in Taylor Town and Hospital-West in Simon Town each employ about 500 persons. Last week, each hospital provided the workers and residents with a special dinner to celebrate the 50th anniversary of their incorporation. Five hundred meals were catered at each hospital, and water was the only beverage provided by both hospitals during the meals. Three days later, there is a massive outbreak of diarrhea, followed by a number of deaths (35) among the individuals who ate the meal and among five family members of staff who ate food that the staff members brought home from Hospital-East. Hospital-East reports that in addition, 115 workers called in sick complaining of stomach problems. No illnesses were reported at Hospital-West
Based on the scenario, your textbook readings, and additional research, analyze the illness occurrence and write a 4–8-page report of your findings. In your report, include the following:
- Explain the role the epidemiologist would play in responding to this outbreak.
- Describe two famous or well-known historical cases in epidemiology that an epidemiologist would review to help him/her respond to this outbreak. Explain your reasons for using these cases. Explain how they would help an epidemiologist respond to this outbreak.
- List other causes of diarrheal diseases, and explain how they are or are not a realistic factor to consider in the outbreak.
- Explain what measures the epidemiologist would use to describe the outbreak. Justify your answer.
- Based on those measures, describe the outbreak. Use contingency tables to explain relationships of exposure to outcome
You should utilize at least 3 scholarly sources beyond the course readings in your research. Your paper should be written in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Write a 4–8-page report in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.