A component of self-determination is advance directives, allowing patients to make their wishes known should they become unable to make their own decisions. The Patient Self-Determination Act of 1991 requires agencies receiving Medicare or Medicaid support to provide written information to patients about their rights to make healthcare decisions.
In this assignment, you will explore the ethical principles and legal issues that need to be considered when dealing with ethical issues involving self-determination.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Consider the legal concepts and ethical issues described in your textbook as related to self-determination and the nurse’s role and responsibilities.
In a 3- to 4-page essay, post your response to the following:
In February 2013, a nurse refused to give CPR to an 87-year-old resident at the Brookdale Senior Living, Glenwood Garden’s facility. The nurse called 911, but did not initiate CPR, based on the policy of the company.
- Describe the ethical issue involved.
- Describe the legal issue and political issues, if any. If none, include rationale for why there are no legal or political issues.
- From a professional standpoint, what is your opinion of how the nurse responded? Provide your rationale.
- Examine the position statement from the ANA http://www.nursingworld.org/dnrposition. Describe your view of the ANA position statement related to this scenario. Provide your rationale.
- California woman dies after nurse refused to perform CPR.
- DSHS: Independent living nurses not required to give CPR.
Support your findings with examples and scholarly references. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.